What you do or don’t do for your septic system can make all the difference! To prolong your systems lifespan and avoid costly septic damage, review these do’s and don’ts and share them with your household.
Septic System Do’s
- DO have your septic system inspected annually.
- DO call a professional if you have issues with your system.
- DO keep accurate records of septic system fixes and maintenance.
- DO use household cleaners and chemicals in moderation.
- DO dispose of food waste, non-biodegradable materials, and chemicals properly.
- DO spread laundry and dishwashing throughout the week.
Septic System Don’ts
- DON’T let water run unnecessarily.
- DON’T expand the size of your residence without adjusting your septic system.
- DON’T park over your drainfield.
- DON’T use septic tank additives without consulting a professional.
- DON’T put non-biodegradable materials down the drain.
- DON’T wash chemicals like paint thinners, oils, weed/insect killer down the drain.
- DON’T flush pharmaceuticals down the drain.